Tips for successful winter storage of boats, mowers, and other watercraft
Storing your boat, jet ski or other summer toys over the winter? It’s very important to winterize and store your summer toys and your lawn mower properly to ensure they are in good working order next summer.
For jet ski details, follow this link: How to Store aJet Ski for Winter | eHow
- Clean your machines before storing. Rust and corrosion don’t take the winter off, so eliminating dirt will add years to your equipment
- Flush outboard motors with fresh water and drain all the water from the engine. You may need to take other measures in extreme climates, so you should check with your local marina.
- Top off your fuel tank and add stabilizer. Run the engine to circulate the stable throughout the system.
- Oil and lubricate. Don’t forget small metal bits like hinges and levers.
- Uncover areas where moisture might accumulate such as under cushions and storage areas.
- Check your insurance coverage. Typically policies assume there will be a lay up period and the insurance is written to accommodate this. On rare occasions, policies are written with a stated lay up period. Check your policy or call your agent at Camargo Insurance if you’re unsure.
Thanks for trusting us with all your insurance needs.